Mylo Xyloto Album review

Go down

Mylo Xyloto Album review

Post by Romeo on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:08 pm

So, I know quite a lot of you are Coldplay fans *cough*Hutjung*cough* and lately their new album has been released (Mylo Xyloto) and there's been a lot of different views on it. Well, here's my view, more like review, on the album. Feel free to debate with my claims and views. I'll do it song by song, and then an overall view and rating on the album.

Mylo Xyloto/Hurts like Heaven- 10/10

IMO, the best song on the whole of the album. Why? Because it's so jolly and it's got that funked up beat, as well as the lyrics, they're just amazing. Chris Martin really out does himself in this song, making it a great start to the album itself, giving you an idea of what you'd be expecting in the album, similar to Life in Technicolor did in Viva La Vida.

Paradise- 9/10

I heard this song when it first came out in September, and this is what really solt the album to me. I was addicted to Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, however, it wasn't enough alone to make me buy the album. When I heard Paradise I knew I was going to be in for one hell of an album. It gets stuck in your head, and not in an annoying way either. The lyrics tell the story of a girl who ran away to a paradise in her dreams (and the music video supports it with an elephant running away, it's hilarious), which add up to be great. Yet again, Chris Martin goes all out with Paradise, the only problem with it is that it's placed after the best song in the album, making it seem not as good as it really is.

Charlie Brown- 7.5/10

A nice beat, a nice tune, some great lyrics, overall a good song. So why the average score? It's just not as good as the other songs. Don't get me wrong, it's good, just not as good compared to the others. It's high points are it's nice flowing beat, Chris' voice and the guitar. Not much more to say about Charlie Brown really, it's good, just not as good as the others, but don't let that disencourage you.

Us against the world- 7.5/10

Let's clear the positives first. It's slow pace reminds you of the Coldplay album X&Y and the songs on there, also making stand out from the album so far. It's not fast paced with funky beats, it's just calm instremental music that you can lay down and smile to, it sets you in a good mood. The main let-down are the lyrics though, based off a very old song (the "swing low, sing chariot" one *Lyrics maybe wrong*) it lacks the lyrics that the other songs so strongly use to their advantage. Though, the lyrics are bearable, making it still enjoyable and smooth. Chris' voice goes well with this one folks!

M.M.I.X/Every Teardrop is a Waterfall- 8.5/10

It's addictive, it's funky, it's different and it will definitely grow on you. You may hate it at first, but you'll want another listen, and then another, and so on until you love it. So what makes it so good? The tune, M.M.I.X builds up to Every teardrop, building the not so suspenseful suspense up, and then onto the actual song. The music is what makes this song, not the lyrics, but the catchy beat, the funkified tune, the drum beat through most of it, that basic beat that keeps it all together. Not to mention the small drum solo at the end. The lyrics though, now they're a slight let-down. They start off well, but then start to lack in what Coldplay are really good at, that Coldplay magic. It even gets to a point where it repeats the same lyrics over and over again, just because it feels like they had nothing else to put there. Nonetheless, it's a fantastic song.

Major Minus- 6/10

Easily the worst song of the album. Whilst the faint beat is there (and it's a great beat), the tune in general seems jagged, and well it is actually not so pleasent to listen to. Accompanied by not the greatest lyrics Coldplay have ever devised, this is easliy the weakest song of the bunch. Not much to say here.

U.F.O- 7/10

As you can see, the album started out great and starts lacking great songs towards the middle, as you can tell by the rating. BUT don't be fooled, U.F.O, though short, and rather pointless imo, is a piece of music that sounds like the old coldplay. It's slow, and lacks lyrics, which maybe a good thing really, as you couldn't fit much lyrics in here. There's no beat, it's just a slow piece of soothing music with Chris's soothing voice accompanying it, making it rather enjoyable, although pointless and not really needed.

Princess of China- 9/10

The only song with Rhianna in that I actually like. At first I didn't really enjoy POC, but on my second listen of it, it seemed more enjoyable to listen to. Chris and Rhianna's voices together are truely amazing, and the lyrics are brillaint. The beat is paced so well, with funky music thrown in there at parts that need it. My Mum loves Rhianna but hates Coldplay, I want to hear her reaction to this song, it might change her mind about Coldplay or Rhianna. The thing what makes this song so great is actually Rhianna, her voice, her singing along with Chris', her pitch, as much as I hate Rhianna, this song couldn't be sone without her. Nearly flawless.

Up in flames- 8.5/10

What can I say? Up in flames is placed in a great place in the album. After you're all pumped up by POC, UIF calms you down with it's slow beat, soothing charm and nice sounding lyrics. Whilst not my favourite song of the album, it's definitely a good one, and will stick in your head long after listening to it. It starts out slow and quiet and builds up to this calm piece of musving all of Coldplay playing at their best. Shame it wasn't longer.

A hopeful Transmission/Don't let it break your heart-10/10

Like Hurts like Heaven, it's flawless. The lyrics; Amazing. The beat and sound; Amazing. And yet again, Chris' voice; Amazing. With AHT building up to DLIBYH, you've just got to love the song. It's jolly, it's catchy, and it completes the album. Can't say much about the song except that it's amazing.

Up with the birds- 9/10

Followed on by DLIBYH, Up with the birds is calm but yet happy. It ends the album on a high note, not leaving you dissappointed in your purchase and leaves you pleased with what could have been a terrible album but was generally a great piece of art. Chris' voice yet again shines out in the song, though this song goes without a beat up until about half way through, and doesn't really need one either, it could be purely music led. It picks up with the beat, leaving it's slow pace behind and continuing with fantastic lyrics and instrements. Not much bad about it, like Paradise it follows one of the best songs, making it seem not as good as what it really is. Really leaves the album on a high note.

Overall- 8.5/10

Coldplay has done it again, another fantastic album. It starts strong and finishes strong. The 8.5 is caused by the weaker songs in the middle, especially Major Minus. But nonetheless, you will want to listen to Mylo Xyloto over and over again, until your ears bleed (but can they really bleed when listening to such amazing music). Coldplay really does go all out on this one, especially Chris and even Rhianna in POC. Amazing tunes, amazing beats and amazing vocals, you must pick this album up, Coldplay fan or not!
Romeo
Lover boy
Lover boy

Back to top Go down

Re: Mylo Xyloto Album review

Post by Luminous on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:37 am

...I'm a Colplay fan and I didn't know that they'd released a new album!

Saying that I don't keep up to date with releases and stuff because...yeah. I think that it's something to do with me not caring about keeping up to date with the 'personal lives' of musicians, I just find out about their songs when I want to lol.

I am buying this.
=D
Luminous
Masochist
Masochist

http://portsapphire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Romeo on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 am

It's really good, trust me. I thought i was going to be let down by it, but when I bought it I was amazed =D
Romeo
Lover boy
Lover boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:10 am

Just about everyone I know hates Coldplay.
I don't get why they get so much hate.
=/
Luminous
Masochist
Masochist

Back to top Go down

Post by Romeo on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:15 am

Most people I know like them, some have never heard of them and a small minorety hate them. Shame really, everybody should like Coldplay, you can play their music whatever mood you're in, because it's not all the same like most artist's music *cough*Pop Stars*cough*.
Romeo
Lover boy
Lover boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sniper on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:20 am

With Coldplay, it's either love or hate. Seriously, they are the Marmite of music. Me? Love. Razz

Need to get this album sharpish. If I have a tenner left over from MCM, I'll grab myself a CD for definite. Might pop a custom cover on there if I'm cheeky.
Sniper
Crack open the Kronenbourg!
Crack open the Kronenbourg!

Back to top Go down

Post by Romeo on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:49 am

You still haven't got it!? :O
What has this world come to...?
Romeo
Lover boy
Lover boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:53 pm

I just got the album today.

I've not listened to it all yet, but I'm impressed by the female vocalist who's in a couple of the songs (sorry, I can't remember the song names for the life of me yet...I still keep calling the album stupid things like 'Morpholo Othello' and 'Mypolo Xylophone').
Luminous
Masochist
Masochist

Back to top Go down

Post by Romeo on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:25 am

That female is rather Chris or Rhiannan xD

^Credit to the almighty Shadrawr!!!!
Romeo
Lover boy
Lover boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Rhianna! That's it.
This is proof that she can actually sing when she's not the vocalist in shitty songs.

Masochist
Masochist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down